One of my fondest moments growing up was making cookies with my great grandmother. She had a dozen children and for every holiday, most of them would come over to eat, or she would make them all a plate of goodies. So, you could say, she was almost always baking. One of my favorite goodies she’d make were her brown sugar cookies.
The first think I will always tell you to do when making anything in the oven, is to preheat the oven. Today with these brown sugar cookies you will need to preheat the oven to 350*F (176*C). After you have set the oven to preheat, this is the time to prepare the cookie sheets. If you have wax or parchment paper, place a single sheet the size of the pan. If you do not have parchment or wax paper spray the pan with olive oil.
What you will need:
The next step is very important as well; gathering the ingredients. There’s nothing worse than starting the process of making cookies, or making anything in general, and realizing you don’t have all the ingredients! Gather together shortening, brown sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, baking powder, flour, and vanilla.
In a table top mixer with the paddle attachment, or a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together the brown sugar until smooth.
Add the eggs in one at a time, mixing well. Scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Gradually add in the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixer, mixing well. Scrape the sides as needed.
After mixing the flour into the brown sugar mixture, add in the vanilla and the buttermilk. This is the final part so mix well to make sure everything is incorporated.
Roll cookie dough into small 2-inch (about 5 centimeters) balls and place them on prepared cookie sheet about an inch or two apart. With a cut or the palm of your hand, push down the cookie dough, so they spread out. Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms and the edges are golden brown.
The timing may be different depending on the climate or the oven you are using. If you live at a lower climate I recommend starting the timer for 8 minutes. For those of you in higher climates start with 10 minutes.
Brown Sugar Cookies Recipe
- ¾ cup (180 mL) shortening
- 1 ½ cup (360 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon (7mL) baking powder
- 3 cups (720 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*F (177*C). Line cookie sheet with parchment paper, wax paper, or oil the pan. Set aside.
- Cream together brown sugar and shortening until smooth. Add egg one at a time.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and the baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture.
- Mix together, well. Scraping the sides as needed.
- Scoop dough into 2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press down to flatten.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottoms and sides are golden brown.
Check out more recipes here on OMG Goodies!